Wednesday, June 15, 2011

DIY Headboard

After reading lots of DIY and decorating blogs over the past year I was inspired to make a headboard for my guest bedroom. The Collette bed from Crate & Barrel was my high end inspiration. Centastional Girl and Aubrey & Lindsey's blogs put me on the right track.

I bought a 3/4" sheet of plywood from the local lumberyard. It was about $30. My Dad helped me trace and cut out a (mostly) symmetrical pattern on the plywood. We used a jig saw to cut the pattern and then used a hand sander to sand down the rough edges. I bought upholstery batting at a fabric store a few weeks ago. Unfortunately the sales person and I miscalculated how much I needed, so when I went to cover the headboard I realized I'd only have enough batting for one layer. That didn't seem comfy enough so I stopped at Wal-Mart the next day and picked up two packages of quilting batting. I layered all the batting over the plywood, pulled it tight and stapled it to the back of the plywood.

I bought some great oatmeal colored linen from for $6/yard. It was a perfect match to the C&B bed. I washed the fabric, ironed it really well and the pulled it taut and stapled it to the back of the plywood.

Finally I purchased a pewter nail-head trim kit from Beacon Fabrics for about $25. It was really simple to install. I just had to nail every fifth nail.

I put the headboard against a wall and I haven't mounted it to the wall yet and I'm not sure I will. It's in the guest bedroom and my little one isn't really allowed to go in there but we'll see.

I love the headboard so much that I'm thinking about selling my sleigh bed (which my hubs and dad likely think is crazy) and making one for my bedroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment