Pages

Monday, October 31, 2011

Refining the pursuit Day 16

I spent last week on an exciting work/consulting trip. I was nervous that I wouldn't measure up to expectations or be at the same level as the other contributors to the project. I felt some of that nervous energy throughout the week--especially when we had to give a televised presentation--it morphed into more excitement about the challenge. It was energizing to be around people that are experts in the field and to be considered part of that group.




While I was there it reaffirmed for me that so much of what I do for work, I really enjoy. I like the broad range of issues that it addresses--environmental, social, economic, and community and also ties into politics. Sometimes the political system is interesting and other times it's headache inducing. As I've been embarking on this journey to figure out my calling I've been thinking about all sorts of different paths. Some of those paths were completely unrelated to what I am currently doing. I enjoy writing and feel confident doing it so I thought maybe I can do freelance writing. I've been working on an article for a mountain biking magazine. I have no idea if it will get published but the editor said they need to refine it to address their audience. I realized that my professional writing is much better suited to a professional audience, I have a more formal style than most magazines. My voice isn't really a funny, catchy one that will sell magazines--which I'm totally fine with. I'm realizing that my skills are better suited for other tasks.

My husband has reminded me a couple times that it's great to move onward and upward from where I'm at but moving in the complete opposite direction might not be the best choice for me. So I've refined my goals and pursuits. I think there are a lot of things that I'm doing right now that are really interesting but maybe I'm just not quite in the right niche. I still don't know where I'm headed but it's feels closer all the time!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment